How to find the best memory foam mattress for back pain?
If you frequently have back pain, you are among most European people.
How to find the best memory foam mattress for back and waist pains?
1. Before you buy the new memory foam mattress, you need to try to experience whether you need a harder or softer mattress for your sore back or waist. Your first reaction is probably:
"Harder sounds a lot better, so I'm sure I need it because doctors are telling me that a hard mattress is good for the spine."
Well, this is not true in this form, because human bodies are not similar, so there is no similar spines either.
If you're sleeping on a hard mattress right now and your back hurts, have you ever thought about a softer mattress? Maybe your back hurts because the mattress is too hard. If your hands and shoulders are numb, it's almost certain! It's not always the mattress that's good for your back/waist that you think should be good.
2. In general, a hard memory mattress will be suitable for those sleeping on the back, the softer one will work mainly on the side and will work for those sleeping on the abdomen. Just think about it, if you sleep on the side or abdomen and the mattress is too hard, then the protruding parts of the body (hips, chest, shoulders) are under constant load. This is how we wake up with numb hips and arms. When buying a mattress, always try them in the position you sleep in.
3. If you know you need a soft mattress, you might want to risk a memory foam mattress. It is called memory foam because it takes on the shape of the body under pressure and is able to track it as a whole. Most memory foam mattresses are built with a cold foam/spring system to support it, and the memory layer is intended to provide the upper comfort part. Memory foam mattresses are not zoned thanks to this raw material, as they receive our hips and shoulders right where they are located.
4. The thickness of the mattress should also be taken into account. Perhaps a memory foam topper may be even more ideal. The topper provides the same comfort, only less thick and therefore also cheaper.
Attention! The memory topper is not good for the mattress that is laid out and has grown out, since in this case there is no proper support! Many people think that a surface enhancer can solve this problem, but unfortunately not. After all, the memory foam has a form-tracking property, and the support must be served by the mattress/layer underneath for the body.
5. It is possible that after opening the foam smells strange, but this is normal, since memory foam has / can have a "smell". It passes shortly after opening. If this bothers you, read our article "How to get rid of the unpleasant smell of memory foam" while relaxing.